Thursday, December 11, 2008

ramblings

Well- it worked for one day.  We did all mom all the time for one day- and you know what?  they were done with the homework in record time!  It was beautiful!!! the next day there was very little homework so it didn't matter.  The day after that I had to make dinner before an event so they were on their own.  It spiraled downward from there.  It just takes so much work.  It doesn't seem like it would, but I am not home all day long, and there is so much to do, and well- you know how it goes.  Inviting myself to be in the middle of the battles just doesn't appeal to me.  I just don't know how God puts up with us.  I know I love my children deeply and I am certain that I would lay down my life for them, but they have an incredible gift of frustrating me on a daily basis- no- hourly basis-sometimes even more frequently than that.  I am sure that I do the same to my Heavenly Father.  How does He not just appear before me and jump and down and pull his hair out and scream and yell at me the way I want to before my own children?  I mean to do well, but I fail so many times a day.  My girls are good girls, they mean well, and most of the time, they are well behaved, decent human beings.  It is just when they are at home, in the comfortable surroundings, in the place where love cannot be lost, they turn into these strange people who cannot speak in a kind tone, who whine incessantly, who cannot begin to pick up after themselves, and who have lost all respect and motivation to do anything that is good or decent.  Since I am the role model they spend most of their time with, I must come to the conclusion that I do the same thing.  How frustrated God must be.  I do mean well.  There just aren't enough hours in the day to do it all and do it well.  How do you decide what is from God and what is placed upon you from others?  There are plenty of good things to be done, and plenty of fun things.  When do you say yes and when do you say no?  I would write all day if I could, but I don't think that would be the best answer.  I just feel so blessed that God is a perfect parent.  I am sure he does get frustrated, but He keeps on loving, He keeps on forgiving, and He keeps seeing all of us through the cross.  He sees the people we are becoming, not the people we are, or the people we were.  Maybe if I can remember that with my children, I will be a little more patient, and can put in a little more time with the monotonous things until they can handle them on their own.  I know this time will be gone in a blink of an eye, but it just doesn't seem like it now!  If I focus on the blessings of the situation it will be more positive, and therefore more enjoyable.  I am sure the girls will pick up on that, and it can be a learning experience for all of us.  Then in 30 years when they call and complain about their kids and homework I will have a nice little story to share with them as well.  God is good.

No comments: