Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A whole lot of calling

I wonder sometimes what would happen if people followed their true calling. I mean all people. I am sure that there are people in the world who are doing what they were created to do, but I also know that there are many people who are just plodding along trying to get through each day without too much defeat. Maybe it is just overwhelming to do what we are called to do. Maybe we are doing what we are called to do but we have trouble seeing it as a calling. Maybe we just need to look at specifics instead of the general picture. There are those who are called to teach, to serve, to research, to heal, to nurture, to study, to disseminate information. Perhaps we need to remember that the sum of our parts is equal to the whole, and that is what makes us Holy. People spend a lot of time doing good things throughout the day and although they may seem insignificant on their own, when added together, a difference is being made. Stay at home moms are a perfect example. When you look at one day and the things that occur, it may not seem all that great. Wiping noses, washing dishes, playing Candyland over and over, doing laundry, driving kids here, there, and everywhere, recess duty, computer duty, lunch-room duty, art mom, cooking mom, bringing forgotten items to school so the field trip can be attended, the saxophone can be played, the test can be signed- all those things seem so insignificant in the grand scheme of life. Can one truly be called to do that? Not very glamorous. However- when you look deeper and really consider it a calling, then you are doing those things, but you are also instilling confidence (they know you will be there for anything), you are giving tangible evidence of love (you spend your time where they are instead of elsewhere), you are building relationships with your children, you are serving, you are setting examples, you are giving something that is much bigger than yourself. That is Holy. Obviously, I am biased toward stay at home moms since I am one, but I also fall into the trap that what I am doing is not important. It is so much more than being a mom. I am in the business of building disciples. Not just my own children, but all the children I come into contact with every day I spend at school. I don't often really take the time to consider that my calling. Here I am doing exactly what I always wanted to do, and I am taking it for granted. I am plodding along instead of greeting each day with praise and adoration for what God has done for me. He placed me in my sweet spot and I am letting it sour. Each day we fail to see the blessings God has placed in front of us, we are missing an opportunity to pour out thanksgivings to our Saviour for what He has done and for what He will do through us. Can you imagine the kind of world we could have if we all realized what our calling is and then lived it? Talk about Heaven on Earth!! I am blessed that I at least believe I know what my calling is. It has been placed in front of me- I just have to take it and run with it. Are you following your calling? If so- are you jumping for joy that you know what it is? If not- what are you going to do today to get a step closer to it? God tells us through His word that his plans for us are to prosper. If we are not prospering, then we need to take a close look at what we are getting wrong in our daily life. We need to ask for wisdom and discernment so we can find our calling. For once we do that, we can't help but prosper. We can all make a difference in this world; we were all created for something much bigger than we have planned for ourselves. Our dreams are so limited. It is such an amazing thing that our Creator is limitless and He is waiting for us to follow His call on our lives- follow it fully with joy and thanksgiving. When we follow our calling, that is when we truly start living. Do you hear Him? He is calling.....

No comments: