Sunday, February 22, 2009

content

We sang two of my favorite hymns in church today.  It was really nice.  It made me grateful.  I don't think I ever give my parents enough credit.  I  had the privilege of attending a parochial school.  I remember going to chapel every week and loving it when we sang Beautiful Savior.  I loved the old hymnals.  I loved the familiar words and tunes.  It was comforting.  That is perhaps why it is now one of my favorite hymns.  The words are not only beautiful, but the tune is as well.  It is comforting, and I know it by heart, and it reminds me of my childhood.  It takes me back to the beautiful church of my youth and the "carefree days of old".  As we sang it this morning, I was  sitting in the pew with my children, and I had a friend's child on my lap, and my husband to my left, my pastors in front of me, surrounded by my church family.  It was almost a surreal feeling.  I had the past and present meeting and the future was there as well.  It was very comforting and peaceful.  It was an unusual feeling for me.  Things are slowing down at all for me, and yet it just feels different.   This morning was a great reminder for me of my history.  I have been born and raised in the church, and I am so thankful for the roots my parents have given to me.  There was never any question that Jim and I would send our children to a Lutheran school- that was what you do.  I am blessed to have the background that I do.  I didn't take full advantage of it at the time, but some things did sink in, and I am so glad they did.  The hymns, the Bible verses, the creeds, the liturgies- all the things that are just part of who I am because I heard them, sang them, said them, read them, over and over again until they became natural to me.  That is my ultimate goal- that each day there is a little more of Jesus in me and a little less of me.  I want my character to be more Christ like each day.  I want to surrender myself.  When Jim's grandpa married us, he told us to "Aim for perfection" since we will not achieve it this side of Heaven.  So that is my journey- to keep aiming, to take the good, godly things that have become natural to me  and add to them.  I want to have more moments of peace and comfort and fewer moments of chaos. I know that is God's plan as well.  I just keep getting in the way of His plan.  This morning, though, I stayed out of His way, and I was rewarded.  He truly is a Beautiful Savior.

No comments: